Thursday, April 30, 2009

Substitution anyone?

Nearly every Monday, sometimes Sunday or Tuesday, I religiously make my meal plan for the week and complete my grocery run. Occasionally we have leftover items from the previous weeks that can get us through without spending our weekly grocery allowance. This was one of those weeks...and I wanted to share one of my concoctions using some major, not minor, substitutions.

Ruden Meatloaf original recipe (Matt's favorite)

2lbs ground beef, used 2 1/2 lbs leftover from walking tacos last weekend
1/2 cup cracker crumbs, only had graham crackers, so used them
1/2 cup diced onion, also on hand, from walking tacos, even diced already
1 can tomato soup, had 1/2 a can from ham balls, added 1 can of kidney beans
1 large egg, used 2 eggs due to the extra meat/volume of entire dish
*mix ingredients together, place in loaf pans, I normally use a glass 8x8 baking dish, but used my 8x11 to allow for the extra volume, bake uncovered @ 350 for 30 minutes

We gobbled up the meaty casserole before I thought to take a picture:( It tasted great in my opinion and even fed us girls for two more lunches!

1 comment:

  1. Holy buckets...seriously you are a brave brave girl...I would have never thought to make those substitutions! My brain would have said, "well it looks like it will be another night of spaghetti....for the 4th night in a row" :)

    ReplyDelete