Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Tribute

Some time ago, Matt and I began to chronicle some fond memories of my Dad. Today marks the 6 year anniversary of his "heaven day", so what better time to share. For those of you who knew Dad, I hope this brings a smile to your face and stirs you to share some of your own memories of him (as "comments" at the end of this post) with us. For the unfortunate readers who haven't met him yet, hopefully reading this will give you a sense of him and his heart.

Dad’s nickname for Seth was “George” and mine was “Gloria”.

On Sundays mornings, Dad would always be waiting in the driveway, car running, with the occasional honk, as we all trickled out of the house into the car.

On family vacations we usually had an amusement park day. Dad would always ride the roller-coasters with us, repeatedly sometimes if the lines were short, while Mom and Grandma chilled out in a shady spot on ground level.

Dad felt it was very important to teach us how to drive a stick-shift vehicle so he taught me how to drive in his little red Ford Ranger (stick-shift).

Showing his giving and selfless nature, Dad let me drive his little truck to and from school my junior year while he walked, so that I could sleep in.

Dad was the ultimate morning person, dancing and hopping around the house every morning.

Out of the blue or especially if we had a frown or bad attitude, Dad would ask, “Do you want a gut punch?” in his goofiest voice and gesturing his best closed fist, left handed upper cut and fake punch, poke, and tickle us until we laughed.

Dad would always say, “Hmmm, that was a good one” and kind of giggle through his nose.

On any given school night, you could find Dad at the dining room table with Seth and I while we did homework and he’d be grading papers.

After school, Dad would change into comfy clothes, but leave his black dress socks on, so he’d come out wearing pj/flannel pants, t-shirt tucked in, and those black dress socks; what a sight!!!

Every winter, on a snow day or Saturday afternoon, Dad would get out his old racetrack and we’d play for hours, attempting to get our little cars around the figure-eight track without sending them flying off into the air.

Other winter days were spent with Dad helping build elaborate lincoln-log fortresses. It only seemed to be fun when he was building with us.

Lots of fun times playing Yahtzee and Hearts.

Dad took us fishing numerous times even though we weren’t really “outdoorsy” at all.

Dad could fix anything with plywood and/or duct tape.

Dad never threw anything away-this is funny especially after going through the garage last summer and finding all the junk he kept, feeling it had worth and value…he would have used it all too, given enough time!

Dad always had a hanky he was willing to share.

Dad seemed to have the snow cleared from the driveway long before the sun came up.

One year for Christmas, Dad built Seth a Thunder-cat Layer (boy doll house) and me a Barbie House. They each stood about 3 feet high and were the COOLEST!!

Dad got to give me the great news that I’d passed my nursing boards-I remember cheering and crying while I jumped up and down on my bed, Dad on the phone with me until I could calm down enough to talk.

One precious memory is dancing with Dad at our wedding reception, to “Butterfly Kisses”.

We’d ride the bus from Kluckhohn Elementary to the high school and meet Dad in his classroom after school every day. We’d play with a tennis ball and the chalk boards while he finished up his labs and prep for the next day. Sometimes, he took us to the teacher’s lounge and we’d get to share an orange soda (in a glass bottle).

I barely remember this one, but I think when we lived in Anthon still, Dad drove a bus after school and I’d ride next to him, sitting on a pillow up high and to the left of his seat, maybe it was a register or something.

When Dad got his mustang, he made it a surprise so when we came home for Christmas (maybe?), before even going in the house, he opened up the garage door and introduced us to “her”. He was so proud and excited. He told us the whole story about how and why he decided it was about time to have that mustang, how he’d been wanting it for years, and how the price was “just right”. (Dad only got to drive it for a few months...Mom's been enjoying it since then:)

In church, Dad would get very “into” the singing and really belt out the hymns and praise/worship songs, even though he was terribly off key…it was beautiful and always made me smile.

Dad did most of the laundry…very helpful, but it would drive me crazy that he line-dried everything, so my jeans would be stiff as a board and he’d take my little knit shirts along the bottom, stretching them completely out of shape and tacking them upside-down on the line with clothes pins-ha ha!!

Matt's additions: When we were vacationing in Chicago, Seth, Abbey, and I were lingering in a “Hard Rock” store while the others were elsewhere. We ended up missing our bus back to the train station. Keith stayed behind to find us while everyone else went back. He found us and we had to walk all the way back to the train station from downtown Chicago. We had to wait at the train station for what seemed like FOREVER so we could get ‘home’. Keith wasn’t even upset at us, he just made sure we were ok and got back safely.

Shortly after Keith got his Mustang he took Abbey and I out in it so we could drive it. We drove it out on the county roads east of LeMars. Abbey was driving quite “conservatively” and Keith encouraged her to “get on it.” I think she may have bumped it up to 80 mph. I think it was a real thrill for Keith to cut loose in his Mustang, I remember the excited look on his face.

One of my favorite memories was the night I asked Keith and Lola for permission to ask Abbey to marry me. I was about as scared as you could be. I had spent all evening with them, trying to summon up enough courage to ask them until finally they were ready to go to bed and I still hadn’t asked! I ended up asking them and they were a little speechless. After a moment Keith said “A little young don’t ya think?” I’m sure this wasn’t how he had imagined things happening, but he was supportive anyway.


So...what are some of your favorite memories of Mr.Fitch?

5 comments:

  1. Very nice tribute to your Dad, Abbey and Dad-in-law, Matt.
    I have so many wonderful memories of Keith and many things in life today remind me of him, yet.
    The first thing I think of when I think of Keith is, I am a better person, for having had him in my life.
    When I think of anyone I have known in my life that knew Keith, I have a memory of Keith with that person.
    It seemed to be in his character to be encouraging from the most menial challenging task or opportunity to the most intense situation, task or event. He lived by example to all of us in his faith and fairness.
    He was available for all his family members and even his students.
    It just seems like yesterday we were sitting in the hospital praying for his recovery knowing full well he had fought a good fight and he was tired of fighting. He did not want to leave us but he knew full-well God had another plan for his life. So as we fondly remember Keith, we Christians know we will see him again in heaven and this can truly give each and everyone of us peace and true joy in this life.
    God's continued peace, love,a joy.
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I do not have a specific memory of Keith (I was too young to remember) I see how his character and love has helped to shape your lives and that is certainly a tribute to him and your mom. Thanks for sharing the great memories.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbey..here are the memories I have of you dad. First and foremost he was my all time favorite teacher ever!! He made learning so much fun and easy. Esp the chalk (yes chalk) board games. That was my favorite. I also remember that we always called him Scooter off the Muppets, not sure if that was something my class thought up or if he was called that before us. All I know is he had a great sense of humor about it. I can still see him sitting at his desk and if you went up to ask him a question he would look at you over the top of his glasses.

    I also got to spend 2 summers working with your dad through ICC. What a blast that was. One specific memory I have of that is when we were removing shingles off one of the buildings at "the pit". I was up on the roof pushing shingles down and started to slide only to get caught by a nail on the way down. It hurt but I didn't think anything had happened until I got off the roof and realized I had ripped my jeans. Only to discover that not only did it rip my jeans but also punctured my skin. I'm sure your thinking not a big deal, well it was a big deal because the injury was on my butt. Try explaining that to him when you're a 16 year old girl...very embarrassing!! Your dad was cool about it, asked if I was ok and when I told him yes he couldn't help but laugh in his funny laugh way.

    He will always be Mr. Fitch to me, even after you and Matt got married I couldn't bring myself to call him Keith it just didn't sound right. Thanks for putting this on and making me think back to all the fun summers I had with ICC and during school.

    Love You All Lots,
    Kiki

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi guys, I have many happy times to rememdber your dad, also. He was one of a kind who loved his family and life very much as he showed in everything he did. I remember his thoughts on eggs, cream style corn and on nuts in his salad. He loved homemade bread(his mother did a factastic job making home made bread and still does. I remember getting a bread machine to help me out. I loved it. I also have a picture of fortress he helped the little ones build on my dining room table.I could go on and on about what a fine person your dad was but I know you already know that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little late, but I wanted to post something regardless. First and foremost I remember your dad as a great teacher. I wasn't thrilled to be taking Chemistry, but he made it one of my favorite classes, and I learned a lot. I also remember that he was seemingly infinitely patient with his students, and that he never ran out of energy.

    Of course, I also remember him from church and from hanging out at your house. Do you remember the night when some of the guys came to "kidnap" us and your parents came home at the absolute worst moment? Oh, man; that wasn't good. :)

    He was a kind and funny man. And what a wonderful list; it made me smile. (I laughed out loud when I remembered that truck! How could I have forgotten?)

    ReplyDelete