Monday, May 19, 2008

Just One of Those Days...

Have you ever had "just one of those days?" I know what you're thinking, one of those days where nothing goes right. Naw, I mean one of those days where nothing goes wrong. Not like a day when all kinds of exciting things happen. Not like a day when nothing bad happens. Like a day when everything seems right. A day that seems like you're just watching it and enjoying it like a good movie. Today was like that.

I think what turns any ordinary day into a day like this are the little things. There are times when we can get so caught up in the things that we don't have, won't have, never had, didn't get, didn't get done, need to get done, won't get done, can't get done that we miss what is happening.

I'm certainly no exception. It is always this time of year when I am feeling especially reminiscent. It is the end of the school year. The last weeks that I always wish would last forever, even though I have spent most of the year wishing they would get here. I look back on that and realize how foolish that sounds. I remember the long months of winter when the students had the worst case of cabin fever imaginable and it showed in their behavior. I can look back and smile about that now. I guess that's what makes it good, that I'm looking back on it.

But that's the point. How many things in your life can you look back on and smile about, or even have a laugh over? Things that you thought were awful, torturous, stressful, or annoying. Probably alot. Wouldn't it be nice if you could smile about them while they were happening? Or how many moments in life are truly blessings, but we manage to overlook them because our minds were somewhere else? Wouldn't it be nice if we could notice all of those moments? For me, today was one of those days.

I became aware of all the blessings I have. Not that I didn't know of them, I was just more aware of them today. I guess it was conscious enjoyment of them. I had such a blast with my students all day. I still can't believe that what I do everyday is called a job. Even though the 8th graders where a little too rowdy at lunch today and I had to have a "Mr. Ruden Talk" with them, which usually begins with: "Let me say this slow and loud so you all understand...", every last one of those kids has a special place in my heart.

After a nice supper, we were able to enjoy the nice weather as a family. The girls were having a blast on their new "playground" as Olivia calls it. Sylvia is walking more and more. Every giggle was a reminder of exactly how lucky I am. Olivia cracks me up with her sense of humor and her blooming imagination. Sylvia never ceases to make me proud with every new accomplishment. A career that I enjoy, a wonderful wife, two beautiful little girls...what did I do to deserve all of this? Nothing. I guess it was just one of those days.

2 comments:

  1. YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    love Mom aka grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I am going to try another comment on your blog. Fun to read of your total weekend. The girls do look a lot alike at 1.5 years. Good idea to bring out the old one of Olivia. How did the interview go today, Matt?
    The Koenen's high school was wiped out in 1 minute at P'burg. Unbelieveable!!!
    Talk to you soon. Thanks for the blog update. Love Mom aka grandma.

    ReplyDelete