Saturday, May 31, 2008

High Water and High Honors

What a crazy week it has been. Severe weather has taken its toll on our area. One of the worst tornadoes in Iowa history devastated Parkersburg, another tornado struck Attica, and heavy rains have caused record flooding here in Ames (yes, worse than 1993!) and surrounding areas. You can read the complete stories, see pictures, and watch videos of the aftermath here or here. Our prayers are with those whom have been affected by these disasters. May the Lord be with all of them as they work to recover.

Friday was my last day of school and the floods tried to keep me away! There was a patch of Hwy 65 south of Collins that had a small river flowing over it. The trooper there was turning traffic away. If you are not familiar with this particular area of Iowa there are not many paved roads that take you south so I was limited to some very soggy gravel roads. All was well however and I made it to school just fine.

We had a blast with our talent show and 4th quarter award presentations. We dismissed at 11:00 and there were a lot of sad kids (and teachers too). That evening we had our 8th grade promotion ceremony. Students are recognized for their involvement in activities and their accomplishments. I always enjoy this night because it's nice to see the kids all dressed up and have their special time.

It was also a special night because I was honored with the Teacher of the Year Award. I have been blessed to be a part of so many of these kids' lives. I thank God for giving me the opportunity to help these kids. The ceremony was followed with MANY hugs from students (both current and former) and many handshakes and congratulations from parents who thanked me for everything I've done for their kids. What a special feeling. I still can't believe that I call this a "job." It's really a pleasure. I pray for the success of our 8th graders as they turn the page and move on to high school. As a special incentive (and a biased one at that) I have a standing offer with any of my students that if they end up attending ISU after high school, I will take them out for pizza their first day of school! I hope they take me up on it.

3 comments:

  1. Comment from LeMars:
    I saw this "Comment from ?" on another blog so I thought I would try it for this one. Are you impressed?
    CONGRATULATIONS on your awesome award. What an honor, Matt! What a challenge to your students! But there are other colleges than ISU you know. :0) I can just imagine how proud of you, Abbey is, with or without this award. I have not seen you teach, but I have seen great peace and joy the gift of teaching as been in your life. Continue to enjoy the fruits of your God-given talent, Matt.
    Guess who ___ aka _______

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Matt:) Being a teacher is a huge responsibility and the kids sound like they respect and like you. What a compliment! I hope that you can get a job teaching closer to home sometime:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Matt!! We are sending lots of congratulations your way! What an honor!!

    ReplyDelete