Friday, May 28, 2010

Over?

Well. Yesterday was my last day with Colfax-Mingo Middle School students. It was a bittersweet moment for sure. As a teacher I am in a unique position where I am able to meet and get to know so many people in a community. Over the last 5 years I have been a part of many families' lives. At the middle school we invest so much into the children of the community and to watch them literally grow up in front of you is something very special (It's a running joke for my 8th grade boys to say that they start the year shorter than me and end it taller than me!). I truly feel like I have helped raise over 300 teenagers (whoa, when you say it out loud it's no wonder I'm a little wacky!).

We always end the year at the middle school with a day of fun. In previous years we would go to Adventureland but with budget concerns we trimmed it down to a day of fun around the town of Colfax with swimming, golfing, bowling, disc golf, etc. This year we were even unable to do that much but knowing the middle school we ALWAYS find a way to have fun. We rented inflatables and a dunk tank and set them up outside the school and converted the grounds into a makeshift water park. I spent some time in the dunk tank and way too much time on the slip-n-slide (just ask my sore muscles). It was all in the name of fun, however. Pain will go away, but the memories of good times with young people will never go away.

The dunk tank (that's not me in it)

Me and my fellow teachers. (I am soaked from the dunk tank)

This is me showing the kids how it's done.

I don't think I won this one.

Last night was our annual 8th grade promotion night. This night is one of my favorite times of the year. Every year I get to spend the whole morning with the entire 8th grade class practicing for the ceremony. I love that time with them because it is so informal and we get to relax and have a little fun. I also get the opportunity to be with them just before the ceremony because they hang out in my classroom.

Me and (most of) my 8th Graders...

...or as I like to call them: my "crazy 8s"

I was also received the Educational Initiative Award and a check for $500 from the Mingo Economic Development Corporation for my work with the school discipline policy, my time spent volunteering for detentions, and for helping students with behavior problems.

It has been a great experience working at CMMS. I sometimes think that I learned much more than I taught. We are looking forward to forging new bonds and becoming a part of a new community in Spencer as we turn the page and begin a new season in our life. We are blessed.

More pics

No comments:

Post a Comment