Monday, November 3, 2008

Life with my Mac: Mac Attack

As I was working on my new Mac yesterday I was trying to figure out how to do everything on it and started developing what I will refer to as a "Mac Attack." Here's my definition:
Mac Attack: An overwhelming feeling of helplessness caused by running an operating system completely different from what you have run since you ever touched a computer. See also: Windows Withdrawal.
I hope this is a natural feeling for those that are using Macs for the first time. If you have experienced this please let me know that I'm not the only one!!

For example, I was running Pages (=Microsoft Word) and discovered that there is no equation editor! I use this feature on a daily basis and it made me quite nervous to discover it is lacking in Pages.

Also, I was trying out Numbers (=Microsoft Excel) and it seemed kinda weird to me. For someone who makes spreadsheets for breakfast this was a little disconcerting.

I guess I have the "boot camp" solution. I can install and run Windows XP on my Mac. Do any of you Mac users know more about this? I will also be picking up a copy of "Macs for Dummies" from the bookstore pretty soon.

I guess that is all for this installment of Life with my Mac. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. yes, it is strange at first, you are not alone! :) It seems you got past the weird ribbon phenomena quicker than I did...so I think you are well on your way!
    The only thing that I know about putting windows on the machine that then you WILL need to run anti-virus for the windows part.
    The other option is that you can get the Microsoft applications for mac. Please feel free to come over and try them out...to see if they fit you better than pages and numbers. ok? promise?
    Oh and be sure to subscribe to a subscription of Macworld...lots of helpful stuff in that magazine.

    ReplyDelete