Sunday, July 18, 2010

Going Out with a Bang (and a splash)

I awoke last night to the sound of our wind chime followed by some light rain. I saw light peaking through the shades so I thought it was morning. I figured I would hear Joey chattering in his crib since he is the first one up but it was very quiet. The gentle chiming outside started to turn more into a clanging and I could hear sheets of rain hitting the windows. I decided to get up and take a look. Since most of our things are packed up I do not have a clock in the bedroom. So it was quite a surprise to me that it was only 2:20am.

I peaked out the kitchen window to see that the light coming into the bedroom was our motion light which was turned on by the rain and wind. I watched as the rain and wind picked up very rapidly. Suddenly the kids' little bench swing went airborne and turned over. Since the wind was out of the north I was worried that water would seep into the basement like it usually does. It was dry the first time I checked but that didn't last long. The winds pushed water under our backdoor and their was a pool in the kitchen in no time. I ran around trying to find something to stop the water. Thankfully we had a tub of towels in the basement that I raided. Shortly after containing the kitchen mess I checked the basement again to find water running down the walls and dripping from the ceiling onto our furniture. As I started moving furniture out from under the water the power goes out. I managed to find our flashlight and continue the water containment project. Finally the storm passes, the water is contained, and the power is restored.

This morning I ventured out to clean up the debris. Our trash was strewn down our driveway and down the street. According to the news we had 75 mph wind.

Here's a shot of the wind tunnel.
Messed up swing set

The wind snapped the stakes that held the swingset in the ground.

I'm glad we still have a house to sell!

No comments:

Post a Comment